Ismail Al-Shelh wrote:

> Its so Obvious that Cisco is trying to be like Microsoft by monopolizing
the
> market.

Business is business. Specifying their own product is standard practice for
any vendor.
The pragmatic advice is to use Cisco whenever possible (that's a judgment
call, the
final decision is left to the contractor). But be aware of the consequences,
which is
what the last few paragraphs of the announcement indicate:

------- begin quoted material -------
What does Cisco expect from its Authorized Channels?
Obviously we believe strongly that our GBIC's are superior in terms of
quality and performance to any non-Cisco GBIC. Nevertheless, you may in
certain instances prefer to resell third party GBIC's. As stated above, this
may occasionally give rise to support and warranty issues, and may cause
confusion with the end users. In order to prevent such issues and to protect
Cisco's brand and reputation we would like to ask you to observe the
following guidelines when reselling non-Cisco GBIC's together with or
already installed in any Cisco products you are reselling:

    Inform the end user of the fact that he is receiving a non-Cisco GBIC;
    Inform the end user that such a non-Cisco GBIC will not qualify for
Cisco support;
    Inform the end user of the brand of the non-Cisco GBIC and how they can
obtain support on those products and what the warranty terms are.

Although this statement specifically covers GBIC's, the same issues arise
with other third party components e.g. memory or cables.  With regard to
those products the same principles as set out in this letter apply.
------- end quoted material -------

You're free to specify non-cisco, but be sure to apprise your client / boss
of the
risks. Losing TAC support is no small matter.

-- TT