Not that I'm advocating it, but whether or not it could be done depends.

>From a high level, you could define some static network address translations
(NAT) that map your old address to your new addresses.

The depends part comes now, your router would need to be positioned such
that the old addresses would be routed to it.  And I believe the second
interface would need to be on a separate subnet.  NAT requires an inside and
an outside interface and those interface need to be on separate subnets.

Better solutions..
Adjust the TTL on the DNS records for the web servers to stop DNS records
from being cached.  Then change the DNS record during the move.  Sound like
you don't like that option.

How about leaving a reverse-proxy or just a http server with a redirect at
the old ip address for some time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Jennings [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 9:16 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: OT: Using a Router to redirect IP traffic [7:42217]

Hello,

 Where I work, we have a number of servers being co-located at one
location and are planning on moving those servers to another co-location
provider soon. My boss asked me why we could not, when we move the
servers, just place a router at the original ISP to redirect all traffic
from the original ip's to the new ip's rather than having duplicate
servers or adjusting the DNS at the same time. I told him that I wasnt
sure whether it was possible and was told by a friend that its not
really possible to do that. Can anyone confirm that or rather explain why
that is not possible? My Boss's theory was that we would have a router
with 2 ethernet ports and redirect the original ip's to the new ip's
through the second ethernet.

Cheers,

 - Trevor