I can't find the specific reference, but Network World published a
study by Syracuse University a couple of years back.  Their results,
which were on a 7200, showed this sort of trend -- the impact was
significant when you added the first rule, and relatively small for
each additional line. 200 line lists took more resources than 3 line
lists, but not hugely more.

I am aware of at least one national ISP that uses sufficiently long
route filter lists that their configuration will not fit in NVRAM, so
they must TFTP it.  If they try to copy run start, the machine
crashes.