Here's what I did:

1) Configured OSPF between a number of routers.  Verified
all where seeing routes via OSPF.

2) Made the following config additions:

        ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 a.b.c.d
        ip route 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.255 a.b.c.d
        router ospf 100
          redistribute static subnets

where a.b.c.d is a valid next-hop

then did a show ip route on the other ospf routers.  None show
the default route but all show an E2 1.2.3.4/32 route.

3) Removed the "redistribute static subnets".  Did a
show ip route on the other routers.  The 1.2.3.4/32
subnet disappeared.

4) Added a "default-information originate".  Did a show
ip route on the other OSPF routers and the 0/0 default appears
as an E2 route.

Cisco doesn't (apparently) treat a 0/0 route as a real route/subnet.
For
instance, suppose you have a default route defined on a router.  Then
do a "show ip route 4.5.6.7".  If you don't have a prefix which
covers this subnet, one might expect it to report the 0/0
resultant route.  IMO, this is what it should do.  It instead shows a
"network not in table" error.

Still learning....