At 7:49 AM -0400 4/23/02, Kevin Cullimore wrote:
>Over time, worthwhile content tends to be read, and sometimes even purchased
>first (though possibly not in a timeframe acceptable to the author, on both
>counts). I've found that understanding design considerations for networks,
>routing protocols & even "routed"protocols make it easier to remember the
>concrete details so dear to the hearts & ideologies of the hardware/software
>vendor "educational" community.
>
>If people are in it for more than yet another set of letters, or, if they
>want to do "it" right, they'll be checking amazon in hopes of an expedited
>publication date for this material every couple of days. I'm not sure what
>the ratio of those types to the folk in need of more explicit/focused
>training materials is, and how the practice of coping with ecomonic
>overcorrections will influence that mix in the near future.

Thank you, Kevin.  While people are waiting for my new book, the
final proof pages for which arrived this morning, I have some other
suggestions.  Mine will be out sometime in June, although I don't
have the exact date.

Those of you that have not dug into the Cisco Press "Inside IOS
Architecture" (IIRC the title) really should.  A complementary book,
which I recommend highly, is Alex Zinin's "Cisco IP Routing" from
Addison-Wesley.

Alex is a CCIE/CCSI, and was in tier 1 ISP support at Cisco, between
TAC and engineering. He's at a new company now.  Alex is also
co-director of the Routing Area of the IETF, so he's in the heart of
the new action.  I know him, and he's also a nice guy.

This book goes into the same sort of depth on the Cisco router
control plane (i.e., routing protocols, routing table) that the
Inside IOS book does on the operating system and forwarding. It's the
first published (admittedly pseudocode) descriptions of the actual
data structures of the various routing tables, the logic of the
routines updating it, and the actual logic of redistribution.  Highly
recommended.

I've always wanted such a book available when writing mine, because I
have chosen to focus on the use, rather than the implementation, of
the routing protocols.  I suspect this will answer a lot of the "why"
questions about redistribution and the like, if you lack, like most
people, a background in protocol development and can make good
guesses!
--
"What Problem are you trying to solve?"
***send Cisco questions to the list, so all can benefit -- not