a good security policy would have had this matetr taken care of as soon as
it sprouted!  :)   (not directed to you Sam, just replying to thread)  :)

that aside,

1) opening up every port on the firewall is not danegrous unless you have
something accesible via the firewall listening on a specific port.

2) it only takes one server to be hacked to bring a network to a stop

3) 1 should never happen because it is highly insecure..  :)

>>> "sam sneed"  04/23/02 12:41PM >>>
They can do more than just bring the server down. They can gain control of
the server and have it attack other servers on your network or outside
network. ex. the IIS code red worm only needed port 80 to be open on
Winblows servers to spread across the internet.

""Brown, M""  wrote in message
> Certain application requires port other than 80 or 443 opened in the
> firewall for inbound and outbound traffic. The firewall was configured to
> allow traffic to that specific server ip address.
>
> The software vendor argues "that the worst scenario could be that hackers
> could bring the server down. No other significant would be possible. "
>
>  Is that true  ?
>
> How risky is that to my network ?  I would like to secure that connection
> using CA from the company and IPSec. The software vendor argues that is
not
> necessary.
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and
/or proprietary information in the possession of WellStar Health System,
Inc. ("WellStar") and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom
addressed.  This email may contain information that is held to be
privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any unauthorized access, dissemination, distribution or
copying of any information from this email is strictly prohibited, and may
subject you to criminal and/or civil liability. If you have received this
email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and then delete this
email and its attachments from your computer. Thank you.