Joe,

  I had the exact same problem but in a larger environment. Some client on
one subnet would get disconnected while other did not. After hours and days
of troubleshooting and this is what we found out.

1.) As400 needed some PTF files applied for the TCP/IP stack (Basically
applied patches to the AS400)
2.) Also the NIC on the 400 was running 2 frame types 802.2 and 802.3. What
we found in the sniffer trace was the AS400 would send out a 802.3 frame
every once and a while and cause the switch to re-arp and client would lose
the telnet session to the 400. I cannot pin point a single client or segment
I did not know how it dropped this person and not this one. Once we remove
one of the frame type to stop the re-arp. No more problem. No I cannot say
the PTF applied to the 400 did not fix the problem also.

Some thing to look at. I am curious to see if anyone else has had a problem?

Ronnie
""Joe Morabito""  wrote in message
> Hi all.  I have a real world problem and would like some thoughts, here it
> goes.
>
> Client has a central site with 7 remote locations.  Central site has a
6513
> with MSFC2, all sites have T1 in.  Eigrp is used between sites and is
fine.
> At the central site lies an AS/400 that all remote sites connect into
(users
> use IBM client access).  All is IP no SNA anywhere.  What happens is at
one
> and only one location users get bounced out of there session about 4 or 5
> times a day.  They have full connectivity to the central site, just no
> AS/400.
>
> So I was at the remote site where the problem exists, could ping the as400
> fine.  So I waited for a "blackout", it came.  When the users were bounced
> tried to ping the as400 and was unsuccessful.  I tried to ping the central
> router and was good, I tried to ping the vlan ip address that the as400
was
> in, that was good.  I even tried to ping other computers in the same
subnet
> as
> the as400 and that was good.  Tried to ping the as400 again and that was
NO