This is where the use of DMZ networks comes into play.  Typically, for any
host that a firewall permits inbound TCP connections to, a DMZ segment is a
good home.  To use PIX-speak, you would place the exposed box on a
"medium-security" interface so that your internal network(s) on your
"high-security" interface can initiate connections to the box (high -->
medium), but the box cannot initiate connections in to your internal network
(medium --> high).  And of course, your "low-security" interface (typically
your internet facing interface) can only initiate the connections that you
explicitly permit.  This creates a safety net where if your DMZ host becomes
compromised, it has no access to wreak havoc on your network.

I personally would never trust a software vendor to be honest about the
stability or hackability of their product.  After all, they are under no
liability regarding such things once the product has been sold to you (their
only liability is, of course, their reputation.)  We treat any system that
has internet exposed ports as a threat to our internal systems and require
it to exist on the DMZ.  Furthermore, before that hardware can return to the
internal network, destruction of the O/S  is required so that it doesn't
bring any destructive payload with it.

HTH,
Kelly Cobean, CCNP, CCSA, ACSA, MCSE, MCP+I
Network Engineer
GRC International, Inc., an AT&T company