At 01:35 PM 4/25/02, dj wrote:
>on "slower speed" WAN links, does one have to fragment all large data
>packets if the serialization delay introduced by the WAN link exceeds
>the VoIP codec packet update interval?
>
>As an example, a 1500 byte data packet has roughly about a 23 msec
>serialization delay thru a 512 kbits/sec WAN link.  If my Voice codec is
>sending VoIP packets at 10 or at 20msec intervals, am I forced to
>fragment all large data packets over the WAN link?

You should check with Cisco, but I think in this case you are safe not
fragmenting.

I hate to introduce another variable, but you should consider that the
recipient has a dejitter buffer. The dejitter buffer is probably big enough
to handle the 23 millisecond delay caused by a 1500-byte frame, and that
would be approximately your worst case.

You must make sure that your queuing is set up to always send a voice
packet when one is available. Your worst case, then, is just a single
1500-byte serialization delay. Sure, if your CODEC sends every 10
milliseconds instead of every 30 milliseconds, more voice packets may get
queued, but this isn't a big deal if voice packets are always prioritized.

Basically you are combining constant-bit rate voice traffic with
variable-bit rate data traffic. The voice traffic arrives in a predictable,
synchronous fashion. The data traffic arrives asynchronously, in a
unpredictable fashion.

Consider the case where your CODEC sends a voice packet at a constant rate
of every 23 milliseconds. There could be some unpredictable jitter because
of the asynchronous nature of data traffic, but because of your queuing,
even the worst case is not a major problem:

1) The interface sends a voice packet. Another one won't arrive for 23
milliseconds.

2) 22 milliseconds go by. A data packet arrives!

3) The queuing algorithm allows the data packet to get transmitted, because
no voice packet has arrived. It will take 23 milliseconds to send the data
packet.

4) The voice packet arrives. It must wait.

But that's the worst that can happen. The voice packet is delayed by 22
milliseconds. The recipient must be able to handle this. The receivers have
dejitter buffers that are at least this big.

Now let's say that voice packets arrive every 30 milliseconds. 29
milliseconds go by and a data packet sneaks in. It's still just 23
milliseconds of delay. So you're cool.

Now let's say that voice packets arrive every 10 milliseconds. The worst
case would be that 9 milliseconds go by and a data packet sneaks in. It's
still just 23 milliseconds of delay. But in that time three voice packets
would have gotten queued up. But they will go out right away after the data
packet is done because of your queuing algorithm that always prioritizes
voice, so you're probably still OK.

Now, let's say you don't really have a 512-Kbps link, but a 256-Kbps link,
in which case the time to output a 1500 byte packet is 46 milliseconds. Now
you have more of a problem due to the longer time being more noticeable to
the human ear (depending on the size of the recipient's dejitter buffer)
and the fact that more voice packets can get queued up during that time.
Queuing delay isn't nearly as much of an issue as serialization delay, but
at some point it can become relevant.

ARGH. It's making my brain hurt. I think you better ask Cisco. They have
brilliant engineers who work this kind of stuff out better than I can. But
I hope my brainstorming helped some. ;-) And once again, in the particular
case that you bring up, I think you are OK not to fragment as long as the
data packets aren't bigger than 1500 bytes.

Priscilla

>What if my Voice codec is sending VoIP packets at 30msec intervals; am I
>fundamentally OK over a 512 kbits/sec WAN link assuming queuing is set
>correctly for properly marked qos VoIP packets??
>
>Thanks for the quick feedback
>dj

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com