I am assuming you mean 8601.

The OS will load on it, but wont fully boot.  It has crippleware, that
checks the board id, sees thats its 82 instead of something like 39 (i am
going from memory), and halts at the end with "INVALID BOARD ID".

The ID is stored on an AMTEL 28C16E EEPROM chip, that is in a DIP package
that can be desoldered and changed.

Its quite a hassle though to just gain CDP/VTP support.  Other than that,
the Olicom OS is essentially the same.

The 8600 however, *can* run the Catalyst 3920/3900 OS.  I have a few of
these,and I am selling them at $1250/each.  these are basically 3900
Catalysts with a different name on them.

I also have the 8601's at $850 each, great switches, and trCRF / trBRF
configuration is just like that of the Catalyst 3900/3920.  The only
downside on a 8601 is no CDP/VTP support, which really isn't that big of
deal.

There is no harm in trying to load Cisco code on the Olicom, you can't
"brick" them, they have bootroms.

Brian

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Phil Lorenz wrote:

> Has anyone tried to run Cisco 3900 IOS on the Olicom 8610s ???
>

> Should I dare try ???
>

> Thanks
>
> Phil
    I'm buying / selling used CISCO gear!!
            email me for a quote

Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036   Netjam, LLC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         http://www.netjam.net
VISA/MC/AMEX/COD          phone: 318-212-0245
30 day warranty           fax:   318-212-0246