From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Chuck
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 6:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OSPF Virtual-links [7:42565]

In the world of OSPF, the virtual link end points are the router RID's This
is defined in the RFC.

with virtual links, the hello packet has the V bit set to 1. I believe that
the TTL of the IP packet transporting the VL hello is set to 255. In any
case, virtual link hellos are forwarded until such time as they reach a
router who meets the VL end point requirement or until they reach the end of
the area over which the virtual link is to travel. I presume that virtual
link packets do not wander aimlessly through an OSPF domain, but stop at the
border of the defined transit area.

So, in answer to your question, no, the termination point of the virtual
link does not have to be an interface in area 0.  in fact, virtual links can
be used to join discontiguous non zero areas. There is an example of this in
Terry Slattery's book Advanced IP Routing in Cisco Networks.

HTH