If memory serves, 75% is where Cisco likes to draw the line.  From an online
CCDA study guide "No Cisco router CPU utilization should exceed 75 percent"

You could do either one you choose (replace with better/faster equipment or
simply shift some of the load to other equipment).  I can't say if one is
better than the other......  It depends on the router that's loaded down and
what technologies are being used.  If you're using a 5500 w/RSM and you're
NOT using Multilayer Switching, then you can dramatically lower the CPU
utilization on the RSM by using MLS.  If you have an old 2500 that the CPU
is getting high on, and you're using access-lists, see if you can optimize
your access-list to reduce CPU usage, etc....

There are a million answers, many no more right that others.......

HTH,
Mike W.