A good starting point would be to read the Sybex CCNA Certification book by
Todd Lammle. In my opinion, the Sybex books are good for beginners because
they explain things in an easy to understand manner. The Cisco Press books
are more detailed. Also, it's essential to get some hands-on experience with
actual routers and switches. If these aren't available or aren't within his
budget, pick up an inexpensive router and switch simulation program. Not as
good as the actual equipment, but better than nothing at all.

Shawn K.