How a Null route can prevent a routing loop.

If you have, for example, 4 networks behind you router.

10.1.0.0\24
10.1.1.0\24
10.1.2.0\24
10.1.3.0\24

And to reduce the size of the routing tables in the upstream routers you
summarize those networks to one network.

10.1.0.0\26

and you have a default route point to the upstream router.

All is good, until you lose one of your networks.

Now you don't have 10.1.2.0\24 in your routing table, *&*^$#!
So you send it to the upstream router, your gateway of last resort.
The upstream router has your summary route so the packet is routed back to
And around it goes...

In come the null route to save the day.
Add a null route to your summary address and when you have the route in your
routing table, more specific prefix, you route it accordingly.  However,
when a more specific route disappears packets destined to the missing route
will match the null route, thus stopping the loop.

Hope that explains at least one case.

Philip