Here's the deal........... I have a 5500 with RSM with a few VLANs on it,
each VLAN with an IP and the RSM is handling the routing for all VLANs.
I've got one VLAN in particular (511) that I'm experimenting with....  I
made the following access list:

Router#(config)access-list 10 deny any log

(I know this seems stupid because of the implicit deny, but I'm
experimenting)

then applied this to VLAN 511:

Router#config t
Router#(config)#int vlan 511
Router#(config-if)#ip access-group 10 in
Router#(config-if)#ip access-group 10 out

This VLAN 511 interface has an IP of 10.51.1.1 and it's the only IP active
in that subnet (10.51.1.0/24) as there are no devices setup yet.........  I
do have a port on that VLAN connected to another (Nortel) switch, so the
VLAN511 interface shows up/up when you do a 'sh int vlan511'.

Here's my deal........ I'm in a different subnet a few hops away
(10.1.0.0/16, let's say) and I can still ping 10.51.1.1 from my PC....
shouldn't that access list deny all traffic coming in/out of that VLAN?!?!
I check the log file after pinging (that VLAN IP from my PC) and there's
nothing...(note the log argument was used on the access-list)

I have a couple of 2500s with CSUs and crossover T1 cable, and I applied the
same access list to one of the serial interfaces, and when pinging from the
other 2500, I get the expected timeouts...  So why wouldn't applying this
access list to a VLAN interface on an RSM do the same thing and prevent me
from pinging the IP on that VLAN interface?!?!?

Am I missing something?  Is there something different about how the ACLs are
applied to VLANs in an RSM as opposed to a physical interface on a router?
I'm not aware of any such differences...

Please feel free to humiliate and make fun me when telling me the simple
something that I'm just not getting =)

TIA,
Mike W.