Hi

i am int the proccess of re-designing a network for 1,000 users over 4 sites
, in 1 city.

and for the Lan`s themselfs i am thinking of changing my approch

i usually follow all the standard design principal`s laid down by
Miss P , and Mr H..( MANY THANKS..)but i am interested in changing the way i
do things..

in particularly user bandwidth requirment ..

when i go about the task of a re-design i usually group all my users into
user groups and define the amount of bandwidth needed from there...

i.e
power users/traders will need a 100 meg connection and use on average 20% of
it ..
ordinary users need 10 meg and will use 30-40% on average..
servers need multiple 100/1000 meg (depends on layout) and will use 60% of
it
(these figures are based a on a very loose generic standard  8 hours ..so
dont slate me to much)

then i would calculate how much i need ...( taking into account the layout
of the users ...which floor they are on)

power users run a constant feed of data from a broadcast server
users dont always have constant open connections ( i.e there level of
traffic can stay at 1% for long periods...while working on a static download
form)
servers are constantly acessing multiple feeds and there traffic is preety
much constant ...

what t i am thinking of doing here is instead of segragating the users by
type i was thinking about segragating them by the applications they use ..

i.e
Lotus notes/exchnage needs x bandwidth per port
Web needs X bandwidth per port
SQL/Oracle needs X bandwidth per port
Server-server needs Z bandwidth per port

i was thinking that this would give me a more acurate idea of how much
bandwidth the users will need ..and therefore giving a more concentrated
focus of network resources.

this way i could use (a sort of) QOS on the lan to direct the bandwidth were
it was needed...instead of just building a "standard" network which is OK
for everyone....i want to refine the way i build the network to optimise
what resources i have ....

E.G

if all the traders were split over various floors ,i could put them all in
one Vlan ...but they would still be running over the same trunks as all
other Vlan`s...so i want to add a QOS to push this VLan traffic through with
priority......

i am keen for everyones input in the techologies i could use to help me
achive my goal ....and any comments on wht i think (and am probably wrong
!!!) is a different twist on the lan design ..

cheers

steve