It is actually very basic.  If someone can run this test on their Cisco 806
and report
their findings.  I can see the problem by just doing the following:

erase startup-config
reload
assign IP addresses to both Ethernet interfaces
connect my laptop to E0 (4 port LAN hub)
connect ISP router to E1 (WAN port)
I can ping everything just fine and get out to the Internet once I set up
the default
route

Now I swap the ethernet cables where
laptop on E1 (WAN port)
ISP router on E0 (4 port hub),
then I swap IP addresses at the 806 Ethernet interfaces

now
-laptop can ping both 806 Ethernet ports
-806 can ping laptop,
-but neither laptop nor 806 can ping ISP router, nor ISP router can ping 806
-when I turn on "Debug Ip Packet", I get the message "encapsulation failure"
while
sending packets to E0 and I also see no packets on the wire with my sniffer.
-when I do a show interface on the 806 router, encapsulation is set to ARPA
for both
Ethernet ports.

One other piece of information I find unusual is that I get an UP/UP
indication when I
do a show ethernet 0 (on 4 port LAN hub), even when there are no cables
connected to any
of the 4 ports.

regards,
dj

John Huston wrote:

> cut and paste your config in here so we can see what are doing.
>
> ""Dimitrije""  wrote in message
> > Got an 806 router with two Ethernet interfaces used for broadband access
> > the
> > Internet.  Ethernet 1 is typically the WAN interface pointing towards the
> > Internet router, while  Ethernet 0 is a 4-port hub used for the local
LAN.