Support (or lack thereof) would be an IOS issue. You might want to check the
Release Notes for the latest IOS versions.
About a year ago I stuck a ISDN BRI WIC in a 1604? that already had a
built-in BRI port. The router wouldn't recognize it. @#!! My point being
that just because it fits doesn't mean that it will function.