There really are such things as Internet simulators, although there
are different kinds.  I'm in the process of setting one up at
Gettlabs, which may not be scalable to a home lab.  It consists of
multiple routers, plus *NIX PCs running BGP update generators
including Zebra and BGPsim.

What this lets me do is to generate more complex AS paths than is
possible with a couple of routers in a pod, and also to generate
errors (bad AS paths, flapping routes, etc.).  The individual user
pods see it as several ISPs with various numbers of POPs, with a
"reasonable" number of routes -- not a full global table.

For a different sort of simulator, look at
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/bmwg-charter.html and you'll see
simulator methodology Internet Drafts for BGP and OSPF. You will also
find RFCs and Internet Drafts about a different kind of simulator --
throughput testers.

Realistically, the CCIE exam does not test Internet routes nearly as
complex as we see in the real world. I don't know if there is a
market for this more advanced BGP stuff--to some extent, I am doing
it as a research project and possibly for custom classes.

--
"What Problem are you trying to solve?"
***send Cisco questions to the list, so all can benefit -- not