I'm not a real Cisco programmer, nor I am really much of a programmer at
all.
I would like to hear real answers, but here is where I would start, if I
were you...

Here is ground zero:
The C Programming Language, 2nd Edition; ISBN 0131103628
The Standard C Library; ISBN 0131315099
Applying RCS and SCCS; ISBN 1565921178

But you'll also need some of this stuff:
Interconnection Networks: An Engineering Approach
Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture
TCP/IP Illustrated Volume II
OSPF Complete Implementation
The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System
TCP/IP and Linux Protocol Implementation
4.4 BSD Programmer's Supplementary Documents
Applied Cryptography
Introduction to Algorithms, Second Edition
The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set
Algorithms in C, Parts 1-5
(list could become exhaustive).

Except this to take about 5-10 years to learn and only if you already
have a Masters/Ph.D in Computer Science.  If you already have the
C programming knowledge, just start going to IETF, IEEE Comsoc/
Networking, and ACM meetings and reading all their publications
that have to do with various Internetworking concepts that interest
you.

-dre