The below were the error message spilling out of CM eventvwr. No matter
how many times I resetted the phone, phone registration was rejected by
CM. The resolution however was to search and delete any trace of this
troublesome phone from CM and voila it worked as a clockwork.

Thanks guys!!

Error: DeviceTransientConnection - Transient connection attempt.
  Connecting Port: 2000
  Device name [Optional].: SEP003094C28F86
  Device IP address.: 192.168.0.137
  Device type. [Optional]: 7
  Reason Code [Optional].: 1
  App ID: Cisco CallManager
  Cluster ID: xxx-ccm-Cluster
  Node ID: 192.168.0.65
Explanation: A connection was established and immediately dropped before
completing registration. Incomplete registration may indicate a device
is rehoming in the middle of registration. The alarm could also indicate
a device misconfiguration, database error, or an illegal/unknown device
trying to attempt a connection.
Recommended Action: No action is required if this event was issued as a
result of a normal device rehome..