I'm not saying to close the thread or not, although I think the
moderators (I am one) are starting to block messages that come across
as personal attacks.

What I see is the fundamental misperception in this thread is an
assumption there is a binary choice between experience and new
training. I freely admit there are experienced people that have had 1
year of experience 20 times.  But other experienced people have BOTH
the experience and the in-depth protocol knowledge, which puts them
in a position to learn even faster -- if they want to.

Earlier in the thread, someone said "would you put something in
production without lab testing?"  As with everything else in
networking, "it depends."  A large ISP, for example, will test a new
IOS release in a lab, but they can't possibly have a lab that will
let them see the effects of the change on tens of thousands of
routers.  This is true of router manufacturers as well.

For very large networks, it may be possible to use true (i.e., Monte
Carlo) simulation or mathematical analysis. But experience does have
a major role in Internet backbone engineering.  Let me simply say
that backbone engineering is at a level far more specialized and
complex than the CCIE level, and there haven't been formalized ways
to learn it.