Hi

I passed the written today but it feels like a hollow
victory.  The exam is a tired old beast and needs to
be brought up to date.  Im sure the new one will be a
big improvement.

The idea of the qualification exam is to screen
candidates for the lab.  This one doesnt seem to do a
very good job of that.  To pass this exam and think
that youre ready would be a sad mistake.

I would rather have a tough qualification exam and a
high success rate at the lab than the other way
around.

I was shocked to find that several of the on-line
study guides have violated the NDA and offer test
questions copied directly from the real exam.  To
anyone who tries to take shortcuts and sneak by I can
only say, Dont even think about it, you will just
fail the lab.

For preparation I used Caslow and that pretty well
covers it.  I thought the book was light on the
protocols, but so is the exam.

You certainly do need to know token ring and how to
read RIFs.  You really dont need to do any math to
answer the questions.  If you know how things work,
the correct answer pops right out at you.

Anyway, its now time to start climbing the big
mountain.  I hope to be ready in six months.

I have a small lab at home with five routers and a
couple of switches.  I plan to practice my skills on
those and expand the lab as needed.  For the big
stuff, Ill use the on-line labs and maybe do a boot
camp when Im almost ready.

This group has been a big help and sometimes provides
great entertainment.  I hope we dont get too serious
and start filtering the flame wars.  That would be a
shame.

Richard

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com