This is a very common design in a campus backbone to track the vlan uplink
from the distribution layer to the core layer.  In that design, there is
only one port at L2 that is in the uplink vlan (i.e. it is a point-to-point
L3 vlan).  So, when that one port goes down, auto-state brings the vlan down
and HSRP can fail-over.

Chris

""Frank Merrill""  wrote in message
> Comments in-line...
>
> Phil Lorenz wrote:
> >
> > I'm a little confused by configs I see in production that
> > appear to be
> > contrary to how I think HSRP works.
> >
> > What is the significance of the preempt statement on Switch #2
> > in this
> > example below ???
>
> In your example there isn't a preempt command on the second one, but I'm
> assuming you mean if there is one there...
>
> I also assume you mean router? (Must be an RSM or MSFC since it has VLAN
> interfaces!)
>

> > Is it- without the preempt statement on the second switch (even
> > though
> > it
> > has the lower priority), the HSRP priority would not change
> > back if
> > Switch
> > #1 flapped a few times ???
>
> It would switch back if 'preempt' is configured on the first one.
> We commonly configure all HSRP routers in an HSRP group with 'preempt'
> because we might have 4 routers in the group.
>
> This way we can assure that the 'preferred' order (1,2,3,4 for example)
will