From: Ufuk Yasibeyli [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 10:23 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PIX - PAT configuration problem [7:44957]

Hello everybody,

I have configured a PIX 515E v6.1(2) with following
for NAT/PAT address translation :

ip address outside x.y.z.2 255.255.255.0
ip address inside 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.y.z.1 1

global (outside) 1 x.y.z.100-x.y.z.253
global (outside) 1 x.y.z.254

nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0

Inside hosts have necessary permissions for initiating web traffic and
all the hosts which gets an address from NAT pool(100-253) can browse the
web. However, clients which are allocated from PAT address(254), can not
browse the web. These clients can resolve DNS names to IP addresses though.
when I issue "show xlat" command, PAT addresses are shown as allocated to
some clients, which I verify that they can't access to web.

I have used Cisco Output interpretter tool. But it didn't give me
any warning or configuration error. And I think the config is pretty
straight forward. (Which might be the reason of a mistake I can't see)

One friend informed that PIX has a problem in a configuration like this,
where
outside address is in the same segment with the address used for PAT. Can
someone confirm this information, and if so, is this behaviour a bug
or a configuration mistake I am making.

Best regards,

Ufuk Yasibeyli