If your connection is clean, and the telnet program properly written, it
will terminate the TCP session correctly when the program is closed.

It's badly written clients, or when your network connection gets cut, or
your system crashes that it becomes a problem.  In these instances, the
TCP session isn't properly shut down.  A router with default
configuration will never take action to disconnect the hung session.

What I typically do is configure a 240 minute (4 hour) timeout.  It's
long enough to give you time to think about what you're doing, and short
enough that if my session is killed by a network problem or an
overzealous firewall, I know I'll eventually get back in.

There is also another way to deal with the problem - TCP keepalives.
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/tcpkeepalive.html

Thanks,
Shawn