""Tom Scott""  wrote in message
> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:
>
> > I am going to get the CCIP, only one test away BSCI and I can't pass it
> > because I simply don't know IS-IS.
>
> I wonder if the new BSCI book by Todd Lammle does a good job on ISIS?
>
> How difficult were the other two parts (QoS/multicasting and whatever
> specialty you
> chose) in comparison to the CCNP/CCDP certs (BSCN, BCMSN, BCRAN, CIT,
CID)?

> > I am getting it just to get it.  I hope one day to get more money from
it
> > but I know this year I won't.
>
> Despite my dark predictions about when or if the CCIP will be included in
> the Cisco
> Academy curriculum, I'm a huge fan of CCIP and MPLS. According to the
large
> service
> providers who made presentations at MPLScon in Washington last month, MPLS
> is already
> deployed and its use in core networks will continue to grow and
accelerate.
> I think the
> same holds true for GMPLS in the high-speed optical core.

Well, the thing is, service-providers, and especially the larger
service-providers that are using MPLS (MPLS makes little sense for a small
providers) place little stock in the value of certs, any certs.  We all know
how difficult it is to find decent work (non-cable monkey work) in an
enterprise if all you hold is a cert.  Well, it's really really really hard
to find decent work at a large-provider if all you're bringing to the table
is a cert.  Large providers tend to behave as something of an old-boy's
club, where for their good positions, they'll only hire somebody who's well
established.

Now, I'm not saying that you should stop learning.  Learning is always good.
And indeed the CCIP technologies are very interesting ones.  I'm just saying
that as far as what you might expect that these provider-oriented certs
might do for your career, you need to keep these expectations in check.
Enterprises are not going to care about things like MPLS for awhile, and
large providers don't care much about certs.