anyone know some good links of Cisco router order of operation for packets
hitting an interface, both into and out of?

I found this one yesterday while trying to figure out why policy routing was
not being engaged:

however the example does not equate to my situation, which is:

packet--->interface_in----------->interface_out------------->next_hop
                 policy routing                NAT outside
                 NAT inside

what would be nice would be if policy routing occurs, then NAT takes place.
However, based on my observations, what really happens is that NAT occurs,
the packet is then placed into the routing process, and policy routing is
never engaged

it occurs to me that a lot of design problems could be avoided if one were
cognizant of the order in which processing occurs both at the entrance and
the egress.

thanks

Chuck