The network doesn't totally hose.  Basically you get a second backbone.
This leads to basically two different networks.  In the example you
provided, The backbone is still "contiguous"

An example or where this might occur would be

            __
  Area     |  |-----------
 ----------|__|    C
     B       |
           A |     Area 0
            _|             __
           |  |           |  |Area 2
                    D            E

If the connectivity on link A went down, Area 0 then becomes divided,
creating 2 separate networks
        1) consists of subnet B, C, and possibly A
        2) consists of D, E and possibly A

        possibly A is determined by what broke the connectivity.

OSPF still functions, it just changes its behavior to accommodate the
new topology.