I have a client who experienced this as well on a pair of 7206VXR's.
The two routers rebooted themselves due to memory parity error.  The
"cosmic radiation" was kind enough to cause the reload in the wee hours
so no harm done.

What's weird is that we have six 7206's in the same cabinet but only two
experienced the problem.  The two afflicted routers just happened to
service the same group of subnets (HSRP peers)...kinda strange.

TAC dude wanted me to remove and re-seat the memory in the routers.  He
said that if the problem happened again that they'd replace the memory.

I opened up one of the routers to find that the memory is not only
secured by retaining clips on each side but it also has a screw through
it...I didn't bother on the other router.

(knocking on wood) It has been several months since that happened and
we've run clean since.

If you're seeing this on a brand-new box, I'd guess infant mortality.
Perhaps you can convince TAC to send you some new memory if you're still
fighting this problem.

If new memory still has the problem then you'll need to look at
"environmental" conditions in your data center - e.g. grounding, heat, a
lot of EMI, etc.

""Farooq Ali""  wrote in message
> Hi all:
>
> I am a giga-lurker on this list and over the past 3 years have
benefitted
> lot. Have been able to achieve a lot due to the knowledge shared on
this
> list. I would like to thank all for that.
>
> The reason I am writing now is an issue which is a bit mind boggeling.
We
do
> have a solution but I found it a bit funny hence sharing it here.
>
> One of our offsite routers a 7206 vxr in New York site was having a
problem,
> we had this brand new router crash on us twice in a week and after
opening
> ticket with TAC, we sent them an upload of our "sh tech" output.
>
> They told us that we have parity issues and guess what? the parity is
bad
> cause of "Cosmic radiation"!
> I am taking the solution on face value and not making a fuss about it,
but
> wanted to hear from the more experianced folks on this list on how
does
> minimal radiation is able to set the 0 to 1 or viceversa, while my
router
is
> not located in say Alpha quadrant in subnebular terrain. Its in NYC!
:)

> here is a link to this phenomena on cisco site:

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:xbNsvjHnXUIC:www.cisco.com/warp/pub
lic/
122/crashes_pmpe.html+soft+parity+errors+and+cosmic+radiation&hl=en