From: Kenny Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 3:35 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: why my PIX admin don't control outgoing traffic? [7:46432]

I have a PIX firewall sitting between market data segment and my LAN.  The
PIX outside interface is facing to market data segment and inside interface
facing LAN.

By default, the outgoing traffic from LAN to the market data segment are
permitted.  And incoming traffic from market data segment to LAN is blocked.

  I have some market data application for eg open Bloomberg and Reuters and
need to access market data segment.  You are informed that only connection
need to initiated from inside LAN to market data segment.  So, my PIX
firewall admin had decide to leave to the configuration as default--> permit

outgoing and block incoming.  But I doubted that whether this is the way it
supposed to be?  Shouldn!&t we just open the ports to let the necessary
traffic to go out and blocked other ports? Will it creates security holes if

we don't control the outgoing traffic?  What is the possible attack?