>From my understanding in IS-IS a level-1/2 router will set the ATT bit on
level-1 LSA's only when it has an active level-2 adjacency.  All level-1
routers receiving an LSA with the ATT bit set will install a default route
to the advertising router.  In the event of multiple LSA's with the ATT bit
set from different sources a level-1 router will install a default to the
closest level-1/2 router.  The purpose of the default-information originate
within IS-IS is to have a method of manually overriding the ATT bit
generated default routes.  A default route generated by a router with
default-information originate (regardless of level) will always be preferred
over default routes generated by LSA's with the ATT bit set.  A useful
implementation of this would be when you want to default to a level-1 router
for inter-network routing and route-leak into that level-1 area for
intra-network routing.

HTH,

-Michael Cohen

-----Original Message-----
From: John Matney
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 6/13/02 12:45 AM
Subject: Re: Default-info. originate in ISIS-Automatic?? [7:46380]

In my experience, what you are seeing is correct. Every L1/L2 router
sets
the ATT bit in its LSPs. The L1 router see this and chooses the router
with the lowest metric and ATT bit set as its default route. No
additional configuration should be required.

Hope this helps.

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Cisco Nuts wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Had a question on default-info originate in ISIS? Does a Level-1
router
> automatically get a default route from a Level-1-2 router? I read
somewhere
> that you had to configure the default-info originate cmd. (similiar to
in
> OSPF) on a Level-1-2 router so it could advertise this to other
Level-1
> routers inside the area.
>
> But in my case, when I do a sh ip route on a Level-1 router, I see a
default
> route pointing to the Level-1-2 router without me actually configuring
this
> command! Is this the case?
>
> Please advise.
>
> Level-1 router:
> RTC#sh ip route
>

> i*L1 0.0.0.0/0 [15/10] via 10.10.15.254, Multilink1
>

> This ip addr. 10.10.15.254 is the Level-2 router(Lo0) that this router

> connects via a Multilink intf.

Note:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
your computer. Thank you.  ThruPoint, Inc.