There are a number of vendors creating XML switches, see:
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/132046_04-29-2002.html.

>From my perspective, I think of these Content Aware Switches specializing in
XML.   These have some things in common with Cisco Content Service Switches,
but are tailored to XML and have code running at the application level to
even translate XML documents.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 10:25 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: InfoWorld article on "Routing SOAP" [7:46577]

>From the hardcopy issue of InfoWorld (June 10, 2002, Issue 23, p. 43):

"Routing, the core technology of the Internet, is emerging as a way to
coordinate interaction among SOAP actors on a global scale. SOAP routing is
described in two of Microsoft's Global XML Architecture specifications.
WS-Routing defines how to specify the route a SOAP messae takes through a
chain of intermediaries. WS-Referral empowers those intermediaries to modify
the route. These proposals are thus far just trial balloons, but early
products such as KnowNow's Event Router ... anticipate a trend toward
increasingly active intermediaries."

How might this be implemented in Cisco routers and switches? Whether it's
Microsoft's .Net or the Java Consortium's J2EE web services, this seems like
a new area that may impact how we design and configure networks.

-- TT