At 9:29 AM -0400 6/18/02, Neal Rauhauser 402-301-9555 wrote:
>"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote:
>
>>  At 4:07 PM -0400 6/16/02, Neal Rauhauser 402-301-9555 wrote:
>>  >My only explanation for this is that there was nothing good on TV on a
>>  >lazy Sunday morning ...
>>  >
>>  >   I am about to start doing some truly gruesome things with IBGP due to
>>  >geographical separate peering points and I've got some internal routers
>>  >that are maxed out at 64 meg, so I spent a little time this AM examining
>>  >the source of this silly 114k+ entry global BGP table. My idea was that
>>  >a carrier stuck smack in the middle of the US could probably ignore
>>  >details about RIPE and APIC address space. Those two authorities turn
>>  >out to be responsible for only about 32k of the total so I am casting
>>  >around for other methods to trim the fat but I thought I'd share the
>>  >results thus far.
>>
>>  You'll find a LARGE part of the routing table still comes from the
>>  Swamp [1] or the Toxic Waste Dump [2], rather than any geographical
>  > region.

I grant your earlier point that many major providers are in the
Swamp.  Nevertheless, you might consider prefix length filters
blocking longer than /24 (or even 20) _in the Swamp_, and see if
there are any connectivity problems.  If you are defaulting to an
upstream, let them worry about getting to the obscure networks.

>  >
>>  Neal, this is a distinctly nontrivial problem, with no ideal
>>  solution.  Your basic choice is accepting "suboptimal routing [3]" or
>>  upgrading your routers.
>>
>>  Several basic questions come up about what you are trying to do:
>>
>>      1.  Is this for an ISP or an enterprise?
>
>    Internet provider, doing wireless, playing with private line replacement
>stuff, too.
>

>>      2.  From a bandwidth standpoint, how many peering points could you
>>          lose and still have acceptable performance?
>
>      I've got a single Sprint T1 at one end of the network, an AT&T and
>UUNet T1 at the
>other end. The Sprint side will grow quickly to more capacity, the AT&T and
>UUNet stuff
>is a colo company, not mine to rule, so they're fussy about how much output
>we
>generate, but don't care much about our input side.

Well, if Sprint is your major provider, one way to reduce routes is
to make Sprint your primary ISP with most-preferred default.  Take
partial routes from AT&T and UUnet, give better preference to
direct-connected or adjacent AS they advertise, and use them as
secondary defaults.

The colo needs would need more analysis.

>>      3.  To how many different AS do you connect, and do they have
>>  approximately
>>          equal connectivity?
>
>     Sprint, AT&T, UUNet, probably going to add one more at the end where
the
>Sprint
>circuit is, but I suspect it'll be UUNet there, too.

If availability is the goal, I tend to prefer to have at least two
geographically dispersed peerings with the same well-connected ISP,
and get some contractual commitments about route diversity.  The
latter may cost, but it is a protection against major physical
failures.

There still is a benefit to connecting to more than one upstream,
however, as it tends to protect you against failures in the routing
system.  No one size fits all.

>>      4.  What is your IGP?
>
>    Today its OSPF and that is the one I know best. There is some cause to
>consider
>replacing OSPF area 0 with EIGRP due to different cost links and varying
>'cleanliness'
>in the wireless layer, but we'll see how that goes - I have enough to do
>without
>worrying about redistribution right now.

Without more specifics, my sense is that converting to EIGRP would
not be a good idea.  When you talk about different cost links, that
makes me wonder if area 0.0.0.0 is too complex. Area 0.0.0.0 should
be, at most, linking your POPs, hosting, and management sites, and
its behavior is much more predictable with a narrow (or single) range
of link speeds. Even if you have a complex hosting/management center,
I'll usually put that in its own nonzero area.

Another alternative is having multiple OSPF domains linked by a BGP
backbone.  If you have a lot of policy requirements, these domains
might be confederations.  Otherwise, they are probably clusters.  Do
be careful to avoid the persistent route oscillation problem,
especially if you go to multiple levels of reflector, by ensuring
that intra-cluster metrics are ALWAYS preferred to inter-cluster,
much as OSPF intra-area routes are ALWAYS preferred to inter-area.

The availability of Type 1 and Type 2 externals also can be very
helpful in managing defaults and load sharing without the needs for
full routes.

If you were trying to simplify, I suspect you could get cleaner
simplification with ISIS than EIGRP. It may not be necessary to
change.

Another thing worth looking at is running BGP primarily at the edge
and using MPLS in the middle -- sort of RFC 2547-like but public, not
VPN. That will position you well for future traffic engineering.

>>      5.  How much effort, including programming, are you willing to do to
>>          optimize tables?
>
>    Lots and lots ... keeps me off the street and contributes to passing my
>CCIP BSCI
>exam I think ...

One quirk in cutting down Asian ISPs is looking for relatively new
ones that get a /19 or /20, and immediately cut it into /24s that may
or may not have any hosts on them.  I get suspicious of any ISP that
ONLY advertises /24's as its more-specifics.

http://www.certificationzone.com