Tim Potier wrote:

> I understand the bit significance for the 16-bit confreg, but I
> am confused about the SEQUENCE of the boot and the issue with
> netboot.  Assume confreg 0x2102, what is the correct boot
> sequence?  Where does the flash overide (0x2-0xF) come into
> play.... i.e. does it replace the need to boot from the network
> or simply step in line before the attempt to netboot?

You called it 'flash overide' but I'm not certain why.
This isn't an override of booting via netboot necessarily, but it can be.
It may be used to specify the exact name of the image to boot via netboot or
any other means the router can boot by.

When the config register boot field has a value between 0x2 and 0xF then the
router will, by defualt, try and do a netboot and constructing a name of
'cisco' the octal equiv of the boot field value, a dash and then the
processor type.
If it's a 2500 it'd be cisco4-igs for a boot register value of 0x4.

If you in addition have a boot command that specifies a netboot filename,
then that will be used instead.  For example, if you had this in your config:
'boot system ftp myimage.bin 10.0.0.100'
It would try the netboot using that name, via FTP and to that host address.
It would not construct the name as indicated above because you have
specified it.

If you instead want to boot from flash, it will also not construct the
netboot filename automatically because once again, you have specified your
boot location and it will attempt to load the image from there.

I'm not certain that that answered anything at all for you....

Good Luck!