HAHAHA, I likes. Kibis and mibis, kibis and mibis, I've got to get me more
kibis and mibis.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Neiberger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 3:49 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OT - Mega, Kilo - kibi, Mebi [7:46940]

I'm wondering if these didn't catch on because they sound so silly.
Have you actually ever said kibibytes or mebibytes out loud??  :-)

That reminds of the dog food commercial from a few years ago: "Kibbles
and bits, kibbles and bits..."

>>> "Dr Rita Puzmanova"  6/19/02 2:05:55 PM >>>
To eliminate such problems in understanding what metric prefixes are
actually meant, a long time ago IEC agreed on  a standard for
different
prefixes for binary, such as kibi (1024), Mebi (1024*1024) etc. See
the
following interesting links:

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci825099,00.html

IMHO while _kbps_ is correct, _Kbps_ is not: in case of _kilo_ prefix
you can easily distinguish between kilo=k (lowercase) =1000 (related
anything but binary) and kilo=K (uppercase)=1024 (related to binary
prefix, such as KB=1024 bytes).

Rita

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> This is not specifically related to Cisco, but is a networking
question.

> I was having a mild argument yesterday with a PC/server type guy who
was
> very irate at an ISP for using "gigabyte" to mean "1000 Megabytes"
instead
> of "1024 Megabytes".  He appeared to think that throughout the IT
> industry, "K" always means 2 ^ 10, "M" always means 2 ^ 20, etc etc.
> pointed out that this is not always the case (64kbps = 64000 bps,
for
> example), and haven't yet had a reply (I actually agree with him that
the
> ISP is using the wrong definition, but I can see why they are).
>
> However, it got me curious.  After a quick squizz through various
sources,
> I couldn't find any that define the prefixes for networking usage.
>
> www.whatis.com has an interesting page on the prefixes, which
basically
> backs up what I thought - roughly, storage (memory sizes etc) usually
uses
> prefixes calculated in powers of two, while data transfer usually
uses
> prefixes calculated in powers of ten.
>
> But is this codified anywhere?  For example, do the ethernet
standards
> define "10 Mbps", or "1 Gbps" (Yes, I know about the IEEE site, but
the
> standards don't seem to be currently downloadable)?
>
> JMcL
>
> Important:  This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee and
may
> contain information that is confidential, commercially valuable or
subject
> to legal or parliamentary privilege.  If you are not the intended
recipient
> you are notified that any review, re-transmission, disclosure, use
or
> dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited by
several
> Commonwealth Acts of Parliament.  If you have received this
communication
in