without having had the chance to verify this for myself, I can offer that
someone who occasionally lurks on this list once told me about a good RIP
lab he designed, in which this issue is covered. His purpose in designing
this particular lab was to demonstrate exactly what you are reporting, and
to show how you can get screwed as a result.

I've been meaning to look at this for some time now. Don't know if I'll have
a chance in the near future, but if I do, I will certainly report the
result.

Chuck