From: sam sneed [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 12:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Placement of IDS [7:48420]

I was contemplating on where I should put my IDS. I have a simple network
with only one Internet connection to my ISP. It is firewalled with an
internal network that does not allow any incoming connections via firewall
and a DMZ which has web, DNS, and email server. My question is should I put
the IDS behind or in front of my firewall? What are most of you doing?
I realize if it is behinf the FW I will not be able to detect a lot of
possible security breaches, such as users trying to rsh or telnet into my
servers since this is blocked by FW. Should I care that people are trying to
get in or attack if the firewall is already blocking it?
The IDS could easily handle the traffic since its only at the 1MB-2MB range.

sam sneed