On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Deepak Achar wrote:

> i have this doubt.What is the significance of Bandwidth command in the
> serial interface.coz' whatever the bandwidth configured on the serial
> interface will not be the actual bandwidth which the serial interface is
> carrying. pls can any one clarify my doubt?

Its used by various routing protocols to calculate metrics (I'm sure
there's more than just EIGRP, but thats the only one I can think of off
the top of my head... gurrr, after work vagueness).

Its also used to calculate the load counter in a 'show interface' command.
This interface is a 1.2Mbit serial circut. With the cisco default of
1.544Mbit, load is as follows...

  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 37/255, rxload 82/255

But by adding 'bandwidth 1200' command to the interface, the loads look
more correct (with the same amount of traffic on the circut).

  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1200 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 49/255, rxload 106/255

Rgds,

- I.

--
Ian Henderson CCNA, CCNP
Senior Network Engineer, Chime Communications