Michael Williams wrote:

> I can't see there would be an RFC on how many letters can be used,
> especially since acronyms have been used far longer than the acronym
> has been around........

This may be true. However, one should exercise care in regard to MTU
in avian systems. The RFC specifically indicates 256 milligrams. With
genetic engineering, that can be expected to increase. Until further
research on carrier strength is conducted, the prudent decision is to
stay with the shorter acronyms. To be sure, RFC 1149 compliant
transport is robust in certain historical contexts. However, weight
limitations are not to be taken lightly.

-- HTH, TT