I apologize for taking so long to respond.  When I was referring to the
amount of peering I meant the iBGP peering, not eBGP peering.  When you say
a unified IGP, you are making the assumption that all customer routes are
carried in BGP, correct?
I also wanted to clarify something.  How are we defining an ISP?  Are we
considering UUnet and Sprint to be ISPs, or are they in a different category
all together?  Would a network of that size also run only a single instance
of an IGP, assuming that they only carry internal links and loopbacks within
it?