Sorry for being so vague, it was first thing in the morning, just getting my
first cup of coffee and rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.  (Yes, I need a
life if I wake up thinking about these questions.)

This is a 6513.

That is what I thought.  The BID is the MAC address on the card, hence why I
am curious as to how this has come about. :)

Here is the header output of the show  spantree command, the second 6513
shows spanning tree as disabled:

VLAN 1
Spanning tree mode          PVST+
Spanning tree type          ieee
Spanning tree enabled

Designated Root             00-00-00-00-00-00
Designated Root Priority    0
Designated Root Cost        0
Designated Root Port        1/0
Root Max Age   0  sec   Hello Time 0  sec   Forward Delay 0  sec

Bridge ID MAC ADDR          00-00-00-00-00-00
Bridge ID Priority          32769  (bridge priority: 32768, sys ID ext: 1)
Bridge Max Age 20 sec   Hello Time 2  sec   Forward Delay 15 sec

All the ports show as VLAN1.

As my curiosity grew I checked "Per-VLAN".
Our closests are configured to look at one of the core switches as the root
bridge, the other core as the secondary root bridge.  I went to one of the
closets and received the same output as above for "show spantree".
But if I issue "show spantree  I receive the information that shows me which
device it uses as the root bridge.

Would it be safe to say then that due to PVST+ the MAC address comes out as
all zero's when you issue "show spantree" without a VLAN designation?

Kim