Brunner Joseph wrote:

> 03-bf-ac-10-32-1d
>
> What makes this mac address broadcast (at layer 2) ? Its used
> by MS TERM SERVER.

It's a Layer 2 multicast address. The first bit transmitted, which on Little
Endian Ethernet is the least significant bit of the first byte, is one. The
first byte is 00000011. That makes it a multicast. (A broadcast would be all
ones in all six bytes.)

> I searched on google before posting here, but all I could find
> out was some common ranges of broadcast mac addresses, and the
> vendor code for the first part of this mac.

I couldn't find the vendor code. The vendor code would be 02-BF-AC, which I
couldn't find in any of the lists I looked at, for some reason.

> I was looking for a pattern or a formula I could use to deduce
> mac's
> like this on my network in the future.

You may have done about as much as you can do. Somehow you figured out that
it's Microsoft and you determined that it's a broadcast (multicast,
actually). You could also study the packets or do some research on this
particular application.

The only patterns or forumulas are the ones I mentioned above, such as the
first bit being a one in multicasts and broadcasts. Here's what I like to
say about such things: The Internet has fallen prey to entropy (the
degradation of the matter and energy in the universe to an ultimate state of
inert uniformity). ;-)

Priscilla