Well, this box was an adventure for sure!  First, I was able to upgrade the
RAM to 20MB with some old sticks that I almost threw away.  Once that was
done, I found out that I couldn't copy the latest (still old) IOS to
flash... there wasn't any flash!  So, I put a bare-minimum config on the
500-CS, including booting the latest IOS via TFTP, as well as a more
'contemporary' config to match the newer IOS via TFTP.

Here is a 'sh ver':

IOS (tm) CS Software (CS500-C-M), Version 10.3(19a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Compiled Thu 04-Sep-97 20:47 by phester
Image text-base: 0x00802000, data-base: 0x00AC4700

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 4.6(9), SOFTWARE

TERMSERV uptime is 8 weeks, 3 days, 16 hours, 53 minutes
System restarted by reload at 20:38:26 EDT Sat May 18 2002
System image file is "cs500-c-m.103-19a.Z.bin", booted via tftp from
10.0.0.8
Network configuration file is "termserv-confg", booted via tftp from
10.0.0.8

Here is the config that is stored in NVRAM:

service config
!
hostname TERMSERV
!
boot network bare-minimum 10.0.0.8
boot system cs500-c-m.103-19a.Z.bin 10.0.0.8
enable password cisco
!
ip subnet-zero
!
interface Ethernet0
 ip address 10.0.150.1 255.255.0.0
!
end

And, finally, here is the config that is loaded via TFTP:

version 10.3
service config
no service finger
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec localtime show-timezone
service timestamps log datetime msec localtime show-timezone
no service udp-small-servers
no service tcp-small-servers
!
hostname TERMSERV
!
clock timezone EST -5
clock summer-time EDT recurring
boot network termserv-confg 10.0.0.8
boot system cs500-c-m.103-19a.Z.bin 10.0.0.8
enable password cisco
!
ip subnet-zero
!
interface Ethernet0
 ip address 10.0.150.1 255.255.0.0
!
ip alias 10.0.160.1 2001
ip alias 10.0.160.2 2002
ip alias 10.0.160.3 2003
ip alias 10.0.160.4 2004
ip alias 10.0.160.5 2005
ip alias 10.0.160.6 2006
ip alias 10.0.160.7 2007
ip alias 10.0.160.8 2008
ip alias 10.0.160.9 2009
ip alias 10.0.160.10 2010
ip alias 10.0.160.11 2011
ip alias 10.0.160.12 2012
ip alias 10.0.160.13 2013
ip alias 10.0.160.14 2014
ip alias 10.0.160.15 2015
ip alias 10.0.160.16 2016
logging buffered
!
line con 0
 password cisco
 login
line 1 16
 session-timeout 120
 no exec
 exec-timeout 0 0
 transport input all
 transport output none
line vty 0 4
 exec-timeout 0 0
 password cisco
 login
line vty 5 15
 exec-timeout 0 0
 password cisco
 login
!
end

While almost every term-serv config I have seen shows the practice of using
'ip hosts' in the config, I have found the above to be much better (tooting
my own horn).  Give it a try... what actually happens is that you telnet
directly to the console port of the client routers using a unique IP address
for each async port.  Rock on!

I hope that this information helps you!

Michael Oliver
[EMAIL PROTECTED]