Comments inline:

""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> Steven A. Ridder wrote:
> >
> > I just want to make sure I'm correct:  A VLAN will contain
> > multicast traffic
> > unless ip multicast routing is on the router (or other l3
> > device) right?
>
> Yes. VLANs contain multicasts just like they contain broadcasts. Or maybe
> constrain is a better verb. Actually, bound may be the best verb.

Is there any way a switch can "bleed" multicast traffic from one port to
another, even though they are both tagged with different VLANS?  I have a
customer that when the do multicast traffic in one VLAN, all the lights
light up on all the ports, like it would in a STP loop or something.  I'm
just trying to figure out how that could happen, when I know multicast is
turned off.  It's driving me nuts.

> > So
> > a whole switch (or stack of switches) will not be flooded with
> > one VLAN's
> > multicast traffic, right?
>
> Right.
>

> > Also, why is "ip forward-protocol" or Ip helper-address on vlan
> > interfaces
> > on a l2 switch such as a cat 3500?  Shouldn't that be on the
> > subinterface of
> > the l3 device?
>
> I agree that ip forward-protocol and ip helper-address only have meaning
on
> a L3 switch.

But for a 3524, the command is there, and it's a L2 switch, so can I assume
the IOS developers just didn't remove it?