interesting question, and here is one possible answer: Cisco is likely to
buy a competitor, making the management and employees of the acquisition
wealthy, whereas Microsoft has the reputation, rightly or wrongly, of
ruthlessly stomping their competition into the ground, and throwing those
people out of work.

One example used is what Microsoft do to Netscape and to Borland. In those
cases, however, MS actually purchased companies that made competing
products, and used those acquisitions as the basis for stomping Netscape and
Borland into the ground.

It could fairly be said that Cisco has indeed stomped 3Com, Nortel, and
Lucent into the ground in terms of routers and switches ( although not so
successful in doing so in the carrier class markets ) OTOH, Cisco doesn't
play well at all in the consumer space. Consumers like LOW prices. :->