This reply is a loooong one!

Please allow me to clear up a couple of misconceptions I have read on this
thread.

First, a while it is true a PIX blocks everything by default, this only
applies to inbound traffic initiated from the outside.  Outbound sessions
initiated from the inside are all allowed out by default with no access
lists needed.  Your config looks okay in this regard.  The only thing you
might want to do is add "access-list outside permit icmp any any echo-reply"
and "access-group outside in interface outside" to allow PING responses to
come back in for testing connectivity.

Second, even though the "nat (inside) 0" has nat in the line, this doesn't
mean specifically that you are using nat (one-to-one translation).  It's
actually the "global" statement that defines whether NAT or PAT is used.
When a single address (or interface option) is used in this statement, PAT
is used as is indicated by the console message that appears.  Otherwise, if
a range of addresses is used, nat will be enabled.  This could be a problem
if you use a range and don't back it up with another global statement with
just a single address for PAT (PAT is also called NAT overload) as the first
hosts to connect will use up the NAT addresses and no other connections will
be allowed.  Unless, of course, you have as many public addresses as you
have internal hosts.  You config looks fine in this regard also.

The only thing I might question is your use of the the following lines:

dhcpd auto_config outside
sysopt connection permit-ipsec
sysopt connection permit-pptp

None of these is necessary and may be causing a problem.  I would remove
these and see if it resolves anything for you.  Also, be sure to cycle the
power on the PIX.  I have to do this more and more on Cisco boxes as they
get more complex and bloated with "functionality".

I have seen weirdness with PIXes before.  One such time I saved the config,
erased and rebooted the PIX, and then pasted the config back in to have it
work fine at that time.  Re-flashing the code has also fixed oddball
problems for most of us on this list from time to time.

Using "show interface" will give you a bunch of info including addressing
you're getting from the ISP and "show route" will give you the default route
you "supposedly" pull down from them.  Are you sure you're not using PPPOE?
If so, this requires a totally different config.  Otherwise, with the
exception of the 3 lines I mentioned earlier, your config looks good.

One question - why did you turn off fixup on SMTP?  This is generally a good
thing.  I would check this features out unless you already know that you
need it turned off.

Good luck!

Rik