When I write, I rarely start in front of a monitor at first. Normally it's
with a pen and a pad of paper at a local starbucks/coffee house or hanging
in my patio canvas chair. I long hand an outline and then rough in a few
paragrahs. Then I get out the laptop and goes nuts. But I dont insist on a
quiet house. I normally put on some classic (since when I did become a
classic????) rock or blues tunes for *background* noise. My better half
needs a completely quiet house when she writes so we trade off times/days as
needed.

Everyone is different but there are times where it just doesnt work and
times where I hate to get up since it's flowing so well.

MikeS