I say to be honest, if you use a boson test, or any other software and
you directly benefit off that software, then you should buy the product.
People are honest for the most part, if you are directly benefiting off
some piece of software, then send the money in.

We are an MSDN site, and if you want to set up a lab to test Exchange
2000 SP3 at home, in a lab, I do not see a problem with it. Esp. if you
are going to reformat the server when you are done. This is not illegal;
because that is what a development, set is used for. Cisco does not have
a development program, as far as I am aware. I have a licensed copy of
IOS firewall for my 2501, but I am not sure what Cisco policy is for
using Firewall IOS for training use (non-production environment). Maybe
Cisco could make some IOS that are for training only? Like an IOS
development kit.

I also thought about this. If someone stole my car, it is gone. However,
what if someone made a copy of it, and drove it around? I guess they
should pay licensing fees to Pontiac, for all those workers and their
families who helped build first car. On the other hand, for the car they
did not build, because someone was using a copy of mine.

Licenses are very tricky, they have to write everything in the book to
cover themselves. (kind of like my health benefits) I am honest, but
sometimes is not possible not to break a licensing agreement by
accident. I think if you benefit from the product, you should pay. If
you steal the boson tests, and pass your CCNP, then that is not right.

That being said, no one should throw stones. Everyone is human. However,
to directly benefit off someone else's material with no intention to
pay, I do not think you should walk with your head up if you did that.
If you do not pay in cash, you pay in other ways walking around with a
guilty conscience.

You are welcome to use this common sense approach on metering your
software usage.