Nigel,

The router itself calls the 100M interface fastethernet0/0, which is why I
referred to it as such, and the trunking was because I am running lab
configurations with more than two subnets on the private side and I need to
be able to route between them as well as filter between them for security.

The ISP is PacBell and for enhanced DSL they only give you a /29, and they
take one of the addresses for their side of the connection.

The reason I am leaving a host with a public address in the DMZ is because
it is a DNS server, and there are issues with BIND and Solaris when the DNS
server does not use the same IP address and name as that which is listed as
authoritive for the domain (i.e. the domain server knows itself as on
10.50.0.65 in /etc/hosts but has the address 216.103.77.99 as its address
within its zone.)  If I want to protect that host with CBAC, I need to put
the router between it and the ISP.  Remember that the traffic is coming from
the ISP via a DSL MODEM 10 M ethernet connection and not a WAN connection to
the router.

The addresses which would be valid in the /29 but not in the /30 would only
be referenced as static NAT entries which would be translated on the
interface with the /29 which is facing the ISP.  Once the traffic for that
address enters the Fa0/0 it would be translated to an RFC1918 address and
sent out to the host on the 10. net, so the host would not know it is being
referenced by the public address.

I realize that this is not a standard type configuration for this, but
PacBell will only give me a /29, and I'm trying to find a way to meet BIND's
requirements for the DNS server and have the server protected by CBAC plus
have other public IP addresses for static NAT entries for other servers on
my net (I've got a number of different servers on my net and want to have
public address to different services i.e. web server, mail server,
application servers.

Thanks!

--
James D. Wilson, CCDA, MCP